Monday, September 14, 2009

5 hour energy supplements not as sustaining as gelpacks.


First I just wanted to say how great it felt to finish 20 miles and know I could pump out another 6 to finish of the race! It was not nearly as easy (relatively) as the 19 mile we did a few weeks ago due to A) no rain to cool us off and distract us B) the sun was more dehydrating C) we didn't bring gel packs. The last was the biggest dilemma of the event. I biked over to the running room to pick up some packs before our run around 8 and the store doesn't open up until 9:30. This alone through me off wondering why on a weekend for all the group early runs it's not open at like 6am. anyway I hate biking before running because it feels like unwarranted extra working out so I skipped searching other stores and went straight to Julies. The run was going great until we stopped at the local ultramar for gel packs. Again no gel packs but me being the visual person I am same a running person on the label of the 5 hour energy shots and said "oo they look fast, lets get those". Bad idea. Within the next 40 minutes I couldn't even feel my legs. It's the oddest feeling to be moving when you think your legs have gone numb. Julie equally felt the energy seeping from her legs. We barely managed to get the 20 miles done but knowing we could push through wobbly legs was incredibly motivating. Next time we'll know replenishing our glycogen stores won't come from gimmicky advertising (or effective advertising) brand items. 

No comments:

Post a Comment