Monday, August 17, 2009

Julie collapses on mile 10!

Julie and I took on our first 17 mile run and it was officially the hottest day halifax has seen yet. It reached 34 degrees celsius and we didn't start our run until just after 9am. The heat must have fried my brain because I totally forgot to carry the money for water in my pool of boob-sweat in my bra. For those who also don't run in Halifax or Dartmouth its basically just a series of hills. so were on one of those horrible hills in Dartmouth just before the bridge, and Julie just stops and instantly curls to a semi fetal position. I've never seen heat stroke but this was pretty much it. she started dry heaving and crying and basically I have no words for that feeling where you want to make it stop and have no idea what you can do. The poor thing must have felt like death and she still wanted to keep on running! we had to walk all the way back from Darmouth to the Dalhousie region in Halifax. I HATE walking. it is the slowest way to get anywhere. Hence why I love running. It gets you from A-->B at the fastest means possible without needing any expensive machines! Also i'm not great with cars.. but thats a whole other series of disasters.
Anyway finished the run in a solid 3+ hours in scorching heat but Julie is alive and kicking and running again! hopefully the weather chills out a bit.. or I remember water. sorry Julie.

2 comments:

  1. Making me feel like a slacker again! i'll follow your blog, and hopefully inspire others to run/donate too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Now THAT is what those funny belt things with the water bottles and gelpacks were made for! (Not those 5km run/walkers on Spring Garden :)

    ReplyDelete