Friday, August 21, 2009

big city running for a small town girl.




I've gone to calgary to visit my brother for 5 days but I brought my sneakers with me and have had my first experience trying to run here. I used to think halifax had sidewalk traffic, but in calgary the sidewalks are equivalent to boston city rushhour. I laced up and tried getting my run over with at lunch hour which is when every single person leaves work and runs/bikes/ rollerskates (yes people still do it) around the Eau Claire Park. It was slightly stressful constantly dodging oncoming business men who run as if they just dominated a board meeting and won't move aside for anyone. Regardless I started getting frustrated with their "my-road-only" attitude so I started playing their games right on back. One shirtless middle-aged man taking up waaay too much room started coming at me and I got my stubborn streak rolling and decided I was NOT moving this time. 25 meters....20  meters...... neither budging....15 meters.....10 meters....come on try me....5 meters...3..2..ahhh...1 BAM! we nailed left arms and spun out enough like a total brat. I apologized as a good small city girl does while he sneered and kept going. I'll stick to my none aggressive running tactics from now on but I felt mighty proud I wasn't standing down for anyone. Even if it is a juvenile game of chicken... I didn't lose : )

No comments:

Post a Comment