Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Successful fundraising and running!

I want to thank everyone who has supported me on my running adventure for the past few months. The purpose was ultimately to raise 3 000.00 dollars for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation and I can happily say that goal was reached with a total of 3 040.00 dollars thanks to your donations! I can honestly say no matter how the race itself went I felt accomplished in being able to gether the donations of so many giving people.
On that note I have an insatiable amount of competitiveness inbedded in me that I can not ignore. After reaching the half way mark I decided it was time to push a little more now that I wasn't as fearful of collapsing or coming out of the starting blocks too fast. I managed to qualify for the Boston Marathon in April winning my age group (18-25) and coming 16th out of all females, which was approximately 550 in total. I was deliriously happy seeing my Dad and his girlfriend Brenda greet me with hugs, food and gatorade!
The surprising thing about marathong running I experienced was the atmosphere. Although I'm sure many are equally as competitive as I am, everyone cheers everyone else on! As I was passing people they would actually encourage you to go faster or win it all! Being apart of organized sports teams does not breed that type of mentality. Everyone was there to do their best if they win that's just a bonus. Either way I've fired a few light within me that wants to see what type of runner I can be if I really put an effort into learning about marathon training. First step, buy a watch. I'm never running a marathon again not knowing how long I've been going for!
Again thank you all for supporting such as important cause as the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. An improvement in treatment and care is necessary and you have helped in that endeavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment